Very very late update because I'm so very busy with the chicks!

Thursday, October 8, 2009 Onderon
...yeah right. We prolly all know how much I want that to be true but I only have my cat to comfort me (when shes not eating my face).

So yeah, I have to apologise for this belated post on something which happened almost over a month ago but hey, atleast I got around to doing it=P

When Tofu first tossed around the idea of food tasting, we (+ Chung)decided that we had to try some Thai down at Newtown sooner or later so a few Sundays ago I rang up a place called Thai Potang and made a reservation. Me and Chung got there a bit early so we bummed around at a book and crafts store *gasp* before waiting ages for Tim to show up. Long story short - we waited in freezing weather met up and found the place.
From Onderon's gallery


The place was huge. Like 4 shop fronts huge with 4 light sign boxes. But anyways we went in and was greeted by some overly friendly and *blank* waiters. Some dude who I thought was a chick might actually have been a dude called Ong (sp) showed us our table and waited on us for the rest of the night. As custom drinks was first with Tim ordering a bottle of Singha which claims to be lager and tastes like diabetes and Chung (AKA koala) ordered a coconut lawl
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

Being a bunch of cheap hobos Tim ordered some entree at the last minute and got what I think is satay chicken
From Onderon's gallery

Appearance wise it looks very nice but maybe it was because we was busy talking and it got cold, when actually ate it the meat was abit too stiff for me and dry. But WTF is this?
From Onderon's gallery

Tim got addictd to the paste and shoveled the whole dish onto his place and yeah figure out the rest yourself.
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery


SINGHAAAAAAAAAAA
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

After that wonderful phototastic intermission we come back to Potang and next up was Red chicken curry.
From Onderon's gallery

and pineapple rice which I clearly remembered was suppose to be in a pineapple
From Onderon's gallery

and some Pad Thai
From Onderon's gallery

Maybe it was just me but I thought Pad Thai was suppose to be somewhat spicy which I found Potang's was lacking in but the portions was generous with loads of raw sprouts *yay*. The noodles was not too oily or dry but the chicken strips, in Tim's own words, was cooked in a giant vat of water for days.

The curry was a bit light in taste but overall it was pretty good. Not too runny + vat cooked chicken as well lawl. The pineapple rice is always good in my books and Tim was surprised with the random peeled prawns buried inside.

The following two I consider as failed dishes mostly on our half and when I say our I mean Chung and Tim.

Chung wanted some BBQ baby octopuses
From Onderon's gallery

but it taste very undercooked and bland and Tim's Duck salad
From Onderon's gallery

which we barely touched for reason I don't remember but it had something to do with the dressing.

What sucked was that we had to wait like 30mins after we finished the curry and pineapple rice for the last 2 dishes so Ong (Tim thinks his somehow related to Ong Bak) gave us some complimentary rice to keep us busy. I believe that we agreed that Potang was a decent place to eat but not one we would go back to too often but it was very busy that night so a lot people would disagree with us.

and the highlight of the night,
Me "what do you get when you breed a squid with a octopus?"
Tim "You get calamari"

Part 2

I'm combining what was suppose to be two post into one cos I'm so lazy and late.
Last Friday Me, Tim was in the city for some stuff we came across some rather interesting scooters.
Tell me you don't find this awesome and funny
From Onderon's gallery

next to it was this beast called a Burgman which Tim wouldn't shut up about the whole day
From Onderon's gallery

But he had good reason cos the thing was big fat and huge
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

It even has a fat support stand thing and a flip out fuel cap
From Onderon's gallery

with too many buttons
From Onderon's gallery

Anyways, we bummed around till late and Chung got off work and Tim and Chung really wanted to try Menya which is a small Japanese resturant tucked under Paddington in the city. First impression - lawl wtf. The moment you step over the threshold our noses' were assaulted by this strong and pungent urea smell which I think was a lot of bamboo. I stress that we did not find in any form, stepped, slipped or wallowed in urine. The place was around for a while and itwas packed so that must attest for its hygiene and culinary.

A glance at the menu was enough to know that it wasn't cheap but there was a variety of dishes and portions. We of course picked ramen and was offered regular, large (1.5x0 and mega (2-2.5x). Tim had a mega shoyu ramen while Chung and I had shoyu tonkotsu mega and large respectively. Oh and we had to pay at the counter before we were seated.

After 10mins or so our food finally arrived but not without some hassle. With the staff getting confused with what we ordered and what size. My large tonkotsu which came with a very generous serving of noodles but wtf 3 slices of pork
From Onderon's gallery

seriously wtf

I know this may sound very bias and unfair but after sampling (a lot) Gumshara's godly soup, Menya's offering reminded us of instant noodles
From Onderon's gallery

but in a good way. It was tasty but I could feel the MSG debilitating my upper body already after a few sips.

Off putting for most but Chung was having a sensory orgasm when he saw how fatty the pork was.
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery


Not much to say about the place. I'll still stick with Gumshara for ramen and although Chung reckons it deserves a 7500 food rating I have to say it barely made 6000.

After dinner we bummed around in the now empty market city and came upon this rare beauty, the metal composite Psycho Gundam MkII
From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

From Onderon's gallery

It's getting late so I wont ramble on about how awesome this find was and let you guys decide for yourself.

0 comments: Very very late update because I'm so very busy with the chicks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...