More things for lazy people

Friday, November 12, 2010 KOALA
Since I really dont have much room left on my desk, the thought of having a 2nd monitor on the table didnt really seem sensible.
Since I always keep my notebook on my table, I wondered if i could somehow make use of my notebook's screen. Infact, there was a way. For 99usd, there was a program called maxivista, which could hijack the notebook's screen and treat is as a secondary monitor for your desktop.
Since 99bux is pretty much half a monitor, and the bandwith of data sent over a wifi connection could make things laggy, i decided on a much easier solution.
Synergy!!
A nice little free application that allows one to control multiple computers with just one keyboard and mouse.

From Screen Captures
In my particular setup, my primary monitor is on my right, and my notebook is on the left.

Due to the limitations of this software, you can only copy and paste text from one computer to another,  but the same does not work for files.
Fortunately, most of my files are network shared between the two computers, so file access isnt too much of an issue.
Although this KVM system does work over wifi, it feels far smoother when I linked up the PC and laptop using a crossover cable. And even with the IP changes, Synergy still manages to pick up the same computers because of their pc names.
So for those with a laptop and desktop next to each other, feel free to give this piece of software a go.
Setup on the server side did take a minute or two to figure out, but once its set, everything seems to work just fine.

0 comments: More things for lazy people

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...