What's cooking

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 Onderon
Well its been a while since my last post (cos I've been way too...lazy) so I decided to get off my ass and post something.

Anyways lately been doing a bit of cooking and experimenting with new foods and tonight I made some sukiyaki or if you prefer, hot pot. No doubt most of you have tried it before at jap restaurants which is great and all but I usually find 2 things to bitch about: its either too salty and/or not enough meat (meaning you have to pay for another plate)

Anyways heres what my take on it looks like but excuse the poor lighting.

From Onderon's gallery


I tried to make the soup as traditional as possible but made a few tweaks to suit my taste and front start to finish it only took about 10mins to prepare and was more than enough for 2 ppl.

If anyways interested they can jot down the following and give it a try themselves:

1-2 packs of thinnly sliced fatty beef ( the ones used in hotpot) or whatever meat you prefer
A handful of assorted fresh mushrooms eg shitake, enoki, oyster mushrooms and anything else you like
Some dashi stock (optional as I found it doesn't really make much difference)
1 liter of beef or chicken stock (I prefer beef)
1 medium to large brown onion
2 small bok choi + any other greens
Tofu
soy sauce and sugar to taste

Once you have those the rest is rather simple clean everything and slice the onion into thick strips and chop mushrooms

I used a fairly deep frying pan for the next part but a hotpot bowl or w/e its called would be better. Pour the beef and dashi stock in as well as some soy sauce and about 3 table spoons of sugar and bring it to boil and then let it simmer for a few mins.

Throw in the onions, mushroom and tofu and turn the heat back up till boiling. then throw in the beef. Gently stir the contents to prevent sticking and you ready to serve. ofc let the beef cook first.

Now you can do either of 2 things. Either serve it with the pan or transfer the pan onto a portable stove. The latter option lets you cook additional meat and veggies at the table.

Nice and simple serve with rice or noodles and w/e rocks your boat. Dipping sauce is not really needed or you can just crack an egg into a bowl or use paint stripper.

PS if it sucks its cos you can't cook and don't blame me.

From Onderon's gallery

nom nom nom nom nom

1 comments: What's cooking

William said...
April 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM

NOM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...