学期が終わる

Friday, June 4, 2010 sl_55_f1
The first semester of 2010 ends with today. Actually, it probably ended at 1700 today, but that's not what I'm here to talk about.

What a semester. It's kind of unusual being back on a full load of units.

Last year, in semester 1 I dropped Differential Equations and Biomaths (Adv) because it was probably the single hardest subject offered at uni. We had our 7-day snow trip in the mid-year break, and I returned home absolutely devastated by an illness that lasted another two weeks.

By that time semester 2 had started, and I was overloading (2xJap, 2xchem, 1xstat). What I didn't realise was that the practicals for chemistry were now 2x4hr/week for 12 weeks, with 8 reports in total due (each report being roughly 12-13 pages, taking about 8 hours each). So, I ended up dropping both, only because of the practicals.

This semester started fairly well off. I'm doing Japanese 7, DE's (again, but not advanced) , Chem (Catalysis) & The Origins of Japanese Tradition (I'm a sucker for variety, I have no idea how people can do four of the same subject in a semester). For the first five weeks I was on top of everything, but as midsemesters came, so did a lingering illness, and I started falling behind again. Nothing like last year though. So enough about that, what actually happened this semester?

For the first three weeks, Gajan and Vu lingered around at uni studying for GAMSAT. I suppose it was a kind of detox, to get the rest of us, who study together, used to the fact that they won't be around at uni anymore. As a result, I've been seeing much more of Abrar, Muna and Fariba (with Michael dropping by now and then).

I joined Kung Fu again, only to leave on hiatus for my other great passion - late night cramming at uni. Here I feel owe a big apology to Cameron, whom I got interested in Kung Fu only to not show up later myself. If I could have it any other way, I would, but I simply cannot cope otherwise. On a brighter note, the semester has ended...

I got in touch with a Japanese tutor at the end of last year, and have been receiving intense two hour sessions roughly once a fortnight. I cannot believe I did not think of this earlier. I spent most of last year worried I wouldn't pass Japanese. This year I might actually get a credit, so here's score 1 for me (take that world, you haven't screwed me over just yet).

I've also made a whole bunch of new friends in all my classes, unusual for someone as antisocial as myself, but definitely not unwelcome. Yu Feng, my friend in Japanese class, recommended I check out the Language Lab noticeboards to look for conversation partners. I found three posters, and took the phone numbers. I messaged Shoko, we met on Thursday and had a great introductory conversation. She just recently came from Japan with her husband, and desperately wants improve her English. We're meeting up again this Monday. And I still have two more numbers.

I don't know why I'm saying all this here, I just want to vent some steam I suppose.

Well, I shall see you guys around! Good Luck with Exams!

(By the way, if you guys know any students of Japanese who would also like to meet Shoko, let me know).

1 comments: 学期が終わる

Cameron said...
June 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Heh thanks for the post- gives us some perspective on why it was impossible to reach you this semester.. But yeh- holidays now woot- will semester 2 be just as busy? o_o

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...